POV: Week 1


Before this study abroad trip, I had many opportunities to travel to beautiful Taiwan. My parents are from Taiwan, and my grandparents still reside here. I lived for a year in Tainan when I was five and have enjoyed many summer vacations in Taiwan. Having traveled for leisure to Taiwan before, I am familiar with parts of the city but am excited to explore different parts and return to some of my favorite spots. 

Little me after a preschool dance


I flew into Taiwan from San Francisco on August 26th, about a week before the program started. The last time I was in Taiwan was about 6 years ago when I came with my mom during Christmas break. However, every time I come back, there are still bits of shock I experience. One of the major ones is how lush and green Taiwan is. I had the opportunity to walk through Yangmingshan for the first time with a family friend.
View from Yangmingshan
Even with the heat and humidity, the mountain was still lush green, and not a single blade of yellow grass in sight like I see all over Seattle and California, my home state. Though it makes sense that nature would have adapted to the weather, it's still a shock to see how green the city is. The weather in Yangmingshan was much different than in the city. I learned that Taipei is surrounded by mountains, which you can see off the first floor of the National Palace Museum, therefore the hot weather stays in the city. The view from the first floor of the National Palace Museum shocked me more than many of the artifacts that the museum was showing. Yangmingshan being a mountain, or shan provided a breeze and less humidity, making the walk around more enjoyable than being surrounded by greenery and mountains like the National Palace Museum. The weather in Yangmingshan is closer to the weather that I am familiar with back in the US. 

View from National Palace Museum

Another thing that I still find surprising about Taiwan is how organized and clean it is. There isn't a littering issue in the streets, trash cans aren't overflowing, and bikes and motorcycles are in their spots. Everybody seems to have an equal understanding of order and system. 

An alley in Taipei
Even when it comes to public transportation, there seem to be unspoken rules of order. For example, the rule of no eating or drinking on the trains. Past the yellow line, everyone really does stop eating and drinking. There are a couple signs on the train that mention being fined if you eat in the MRT, yet it seems odd that everyone follows it. People aren't even trying to sneak a bite of food. Also, there is the lining up before crossing sidewalks or getting into the MRT. There are guides on the floor and people understand and follow it thoroughly. People wait for others to get off before others get on. You don't find people skipping on fares, the seats aren't sticky, and there isn't loud music from someone's phone playing. I take public transit in Seattle almost every day for school or work and the difference in the experience is like white and black. 
Juice selection at 7/11

Lastly, there are convenience stores. There are 7/11s and Family Marts on every corner, truly convenient. The stores are filled with snacks, drinks, meals, and a small assortment of other items. In the store, you find anyone from the construction worker on his lunch break, students on their way to high school, foreigners grabbing water for the day, and locals stopping in for a quick snack. The stores usually have microwaves for their refrigerated meals, hot water for ramen, and bathrooms, and some even have seating areas. The convenience of 7/11 has been great on this trip. I've found myself going when it is 6:30am and jetlag me wants to find some breakfast or on our walking tour to get a cold water and stand in the air conditioning. 

Seating area in 7/11







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POV: Week 1.5

POV: Week 3.5